Sunday, September 21, 2008


Friday night was our church's Daddy/Daughter activity. The theme was a Western Hoe-down. My youngest daughter is the only one left at home young enough to go (it was only for girls ages 3 to 11 inclusive). We dressed up in hats and boots, tied our scarfs and headed out.

Games! Toys! Prizes! Food! It was a lot of fun getting there and seeing friends, and playing. She climbed right up on the horse and knew what to do!

But disaster struck! After getting our food (fruit salad, tortilla chips, and chili), we made our way to a table to eat, and oh no! She spilled chili all over her beautiful white shirt. A quick trip to the kitchen and vigorous scrubbing with cold water didn't help much. There was a huge orange stain down her front. It even made her tummy orange underneath! But, I thought to myself, what would my wife do? Look really close at that last picture, where she has her hand on her hip. Click it to zoom in. Then, click one of the other two pictures. Can you see it? Different shirts!

From a previous reconnoitering of the neighborhood with my aforementioned wife, I knew about the Village Economy Store three blocks South of our church. We hoofed it to the car, made it through a green light, quickly scanned the girls sections. We both agreed it should be white like the chilified shirt, and modest. One shirt was rejected because it was too short. We found one that looked good, she changed quickly in the dressing room (I don't know what the reviewer in the above-linked page means about no dressing rooms), agreed it fit, and scooted to the register. She turned around so the cashier could take price and remove the tag. Cool, it was even half off today!




Back to the dance in less than ten minutes. Just in time for cake and dancing!

3 comments:

Deb said...

Great dad story. What problem solving! Awesome.

Jane Babcock said...

Hey, I'm impressed. I hope I remember your story next time I am defending thrift stores. Interesting way to problem solve. What would Jenni do? What would Ken do? What would Jesus do? We can't go higher than that, but we could probably make better use of the family examples we have around us.

landbeck said...

I often mentally cycle through the people I know, am related to, thinking about their approaches and strengths. I feel blessed to be surrounded by such a deep inventory of invigorating personalities, each of whom inspire me in different ways to keep trying, to strive, to work, to serve. Jennilyn is the person I know the most, so she often is the one who inspires me the greatest!