Thursday, May 21, 2009

A New Way to Study the Book of Mormon

In Stake Conference last month, President Clover made a remarkable comment about First Nephi, the first section of the Book of Mormon.

He said he felt the writings in First Nephi being an amazing text with which to examine family behavior and practice. I had never thought of it in those terms before. With my oldest daughter coming home for the summer, it occurred to me that we could read a chapter a week while she is home, and get all the way through the book. So we started a few weeks ago with Chapter One.

On Sunday night, we gathered, all of us but the youngest two. Rather than reading right through the chapter, I directed them to specific verses, and asked them questions about the family dynamics it called to my mind. I have the verses posted below and the questions we posed related to each. Over the next several months, I'll post these chapter study guides one at a time. If you have any suggestions you think fit this list, please feel free to leave a comment, and I'll fold them into this series.

1. I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.
Note the connection; Nephi asserts that he was taught what his Father/parents know because they were "goodly". What have you been taught?


2. Yea, I make a record in the language of my father, which consists of the learning of the Jews and the language of the Egyptians.
Do you speak in the language of your parents? Do you hear the way we talk to each other, to you? Do you speak that way?


5. Wherefore it came to pass that my father, Lehi, as he went forth prayed unto the Lord, yea, even with all his heart, in behalf of his people.
How did Nephi know what his Father did? Have you heard your parents discuss their spiritual experiences? Would you know them well enough to record them decades later in a recollection of this time in your life?


15. And after this manner was the language of my father in the praising of his God; for his soul did rejoice, and his whole heart was filled, because of the things which he had seen, yea, which the Lord had shown unto him.
Do you know what makes your parents' souls rejoice? Do you know fills the hearts of your siblings? Think of each other, listen to each other, know what makes your family happy.


18. Therefore, I would that ye should know, that after the Lord had shown so many marvelous things unto my father, Lehi, yea, concerning the destruction of Jerusalem, behold he went forth among the people, and began to prophesy and to declare unto them concerning the things which he had both seen and heard.
What did Lehi do after he received revelation? How did Nephi feel about his Father's work?


20. And when the Jews heard these things they were angry with him; yea, even as with the prophets of old, whom they had cast out, and stoned, and slain; and they also sought his life, that they might take it away. But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.
What does the phrase "tender mercies" mean? Have you seen them in your life, in the lives of your families and loves ones?
How have you responded when other people are mad at your siblings or family? Do you take their side, or do you support your family?


My kids have a running joke that when I want to talk to them, I launch into a lecture attack. Like a Pokemon who has the capacity to bludgeon his opponent with words.
I am hoping that these studies aren't just me lecturing. It is good to have a common text, something to consider together.

See you next week with chapter two.

No comments: