Sunday, June 14, 2009

Book of Mormon Stories Chapter 6

1 Nephi 6A short chapter! Yay, time to catch up.


1 And now I, Nephi, do not give the genealogy of my fathers in this part of my record; neither at any time shall I give it after upon these plates which I am writing; for it is given in the record which has been kept by my father; wherefore, I do not write it in this work.
2 For it sufficeth me to say that we are descendants of Joseph.
Sometimes, it's OK to summarize. Should we keep two journals? Keep your audience and your message in mind when you write. This book, First Nephi, is not the author's journal, nor a book for his kids and family, but a targeted dissertation, written to us. His silence on familial details should not be an excuse for us to skip writing family histories.


4 For the fulness of mine intent is that I may persuade men to come unto the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, and be saved.
Think about why you do things, why you write things, what is your intent?


5 Wherefore, the things which are pleasing unto the world I do not write, but the things which are pleasing unto God and unto those who are not of the world.
Do the things of God please you? What does it mean to be "not of the world"?


6 Wherefore, I shall give commandment unto my seed, that they shall not occupy these plates with things which are not of worth unto the children of men.
Do we tell you want to do, in terms of who you are (your heritage or lineage)?

No comments: