Sunday, September 12, 2010

Politics!


My number one son went off to college a couple of weeks ago. He asked as he was finishing his absentee ballot application, "What political party am I?"

Wow. Where do I start?

I explained that Maryland has closed primary elections, so you can only vote for candidates in the party you join; if you aren't with a party, you cannot vote in the primary election. So it's worth joining to be able to vote in the primary.

But which party? Sorry, you have to figure that out on your own.

For what it's worth, I've always taken the trusty guide approach to politics (just like with music!). I listen to what trusted friends tell me, and usually just do what they suggest. That might sound lazy, but I prefer to think of myself as just really busy doing other important things.

My folks are very active in the community, so I often ask them for their advice.

So I can tell you what I will do, who I will vote for in a given election, but I am not sure I know much more than you do, kids.

I do know how to be informed. Look things up when someone gives you information. Especially look things up when a partisan gives you information.

Read FactCheck.org once in a while. I have to do it in small doses, because it is depressing to realize how inaccurate most of the things are that you see reported in the news or spoken by politicians.

For specific info on specific candidates for some higher profile elections, check OntheIssues.com.

Even though it's based at a Florida Newspaper, http://politifact.com/ has a good selection of nationwide information.

Most Conservatives assert a wide liberal bias on the part of the media (except for Fox; most liberals assert a strong conservative bias on the part of Fox News). I try to be cautious in what I believe.

Tell you what, though, if you find something interesting out there, something compelling, an issue worth fighting for, and candidate worth talking about? You call me and tell me about it. I take recommendations, you know.

1 comment:

Jane Babcock said...

Helpful post. Thank you. Yesterday was Primary Election day here. Lots of noise.