Saturday, August 27, 2011

Happy Mistakes




Stewart asked us to send pictures of him to use on his blog. I volunteered to do it.

I thought I was all Wile E. Coyote, super-genius (without the irony) when I used Picasa to find all the pictures with his face in them, and then copy them to a folder.

Oops.

Except it didn't copy them, it MOVED them.

Do you know how many pictures you've taken of your children that are named the exact same thing? There are seriously 14 pictures named "pict0001" with Stewart in them.

Ok, no problem. I can sort them by date and then move them back into their parent folders. No one will ever know.

Oops.

Except everytime the camera's battery died, it reset the date to 1/1/2002. These three pictures are all dated from that date.





Hey wait a minute, the second and third photos have Stewart wearing the same shirt. They are from the SAME FOLDER!



So I'm slowly working my through the list. Searching the photo folder for pictures with names that are one number off (so when searching for the folder containing "pict0001" I'll look for all the photos named "pict0002" and compare). The ones that are dated correctly is much easier, I'm filing them away with amazing speed.

Not really that speedy, though, I keep getting caught in eddy currents of nostalgia. At this rate, I estimate I will be done about a week before Stewart returns home from his mission. It's fun to stroll down memory lane. Though it's disconcerting to do it completely absent certain contextual clues of time and location.

It's uncomfortably like having Alzheimers.

50 pictures down. Only . . . 1022 to go.

1 comment:

Jane Babcock said...

Wow. What a project. I love the young Stewart pictures. Children have a sweetness that is hard to describe in words, but it shows up in pictures.