Friday, December 02, 2011

Cultural Literacy

My behavior is populated with filmic allusion.

Especially from my childhood favorites. When insisting on something with a child, threatening a punishment or a course they dislike, I challenge them, a la Grand Moff, "Would you prefer another (punishment, objective, chore, etc.), a military (punishment, objective, chore, etc.)? Then name the (punishment, objective, chore, etc.)!"



And Luke, ever earnest, overachieving, and in desperate need of affirmation, "(beat) *I* care!"

It is always wryly disappointing when I hear people get an allusion wrong. The other day, a co-worker joked about needing any "stinking badges", and I asked him if he'd ever seen the movie.

"Blazing Saddles? Yeah, it's one of my favorites!"

To think that kids these days grow up without bothering to source their favorite quotes. It is to weep.



I have tried to instill a similar discerning love for film in my children. I am certain that makes me occasionally entertaining. I am also certain it is not enough.

What are the cultural things that are important for children to know? Do we need to teach them the School of Rock chart of Rock and Roll etymology? Political terms and historical stances?

We teach them what's worth fighting for, striving for, what things are worth the sacrifice. What things are not.

I want my children to know that I expect them to go to church each week, even if it's inconvenient.

I want them to have fun and laugh, but to know when to be tender and reverent.

1 comment:

Jane Babcock said...

I have the books but not the films and perhaps not the memory.