Friday, May 31, 2013

My Secret Corner Sidewalk


Some people have secret gardens.  Secret Recipes.

I have written before about my secret sidewalk corner.  We put furniture out there that we no longer want and

>POOF<

It disappears!

It's hard to see through the branches of the redbud tree, but that's the big black vinyl couch that was in our front living room out there last July.  Hottest day of the summer and it only lasted two hours.

We've dispensed with four or five different sets of shelves and dressers, a dehumidifier, a (non-working!) treadmill, chairs, couches, loveseats.

When Mrs. Landbeck says, "Time for it to go," we do not hesitate.


Last Monday was a corner day.  This photo is of some stuff I set out Saturday morning.  A bunkbed frame (with no mattresses or mattress-supports).  In the ten minutes it took Stewart and I to drive to my Dad's house and back, the bikes were gone.  Ten minutes later, a pickup pulled along our driveway to thank me for the bunkbed frame.

I put more things out Monday, the row of furniture stretching halfway down the front of our house.  Well, not really half-way, but you know, it was like thirty feet.  It started to disappear before I could get out there to take a picture!

I was dumb-founded at the things people took.  And old chair with some of the side cushioning eaten/taken away by critters (probably for a nest somewhere).  Four chairs missing their seats and backs, in partial states of re-finishing.

It was good to divest, and good to pay forward to someone else.

4 comments:

Jane Babcock said...

Good practice. More fun than a yard sale and way less pressure.

Deb said...

Much quicker and easier than a yard sale or even than donating to a thrift store. Plus you make a lot of people happy with free stuff! Your extra benefit= more space and fewer things. Makes me want to get rid of some things too. But I'm still tempted by the question of whether things would sell on ebay or some such place. Too much hassle? Maybe.

Emmalyn said...

Excellent way to get rid of things! Happy to give away.

Jennilyn said...

Yes, I prefer our freebie method over yard sale. Even if we made $20.00 or so on it, I feel better about helping community. As long as it doesn't become eyesore, or stuff sitting for more than a day. We have that much traffic passing by that things go quickly. I know we have benefitted from freebie curb treasure, and it feels good helping someone else have a great day!