Saturday, November 29, 2008

Tam Sawyer Hucksterism or Entrepreneurial Spirit?

This is my middle daughter, industriously raking leaves.

No, seriously. Yesterday was our yard-work day, we wanted the leaves up so the City could take them all away today.

The Troop 922 Spaghetti Supper fundraiser was a week ago. With two sons in Scouts, I have a keen interest in the raising of funds; so this supper, the only fundraising the Troop does, lasts us all year. We have a service auction that raises about as much as the ticket sales. It was with great surprise I saw that my daughter had bid on one of the Scouts!

She spent her own money to secure the services of a hard-working young man for "leaf raking".

Genius! My little girl has learned how to sub-contract. She confided in me that her plan was to sit on the rocking chair, drink hot chocolate, and watch.

Our "guest worker" set a good pace. That's him in the blue hoody, helping our middle son.



The Landbecks present and "working" needed occasional goads to stay on task. You can hide, but you can't run!



Here, our oldest son used a leaf vacuum to get some of the leaves off of the bushes out front. As he empties the bag, you see our pile of full bags growing in the background.



Final tally was nearly 50 bags! I had no idea it would take so many. 3 hours of (mostly) hard work.

I'm just totally impressed with my daughter's entrepreneurial spirit. Good for her!

1 comment:

Emmalyn said...

That's impressive!

And that's a lot of leaves...