Sunday, January 17, 2010

Cute Youth!



I recall a time when my young men weren't enthusiastic about dances. I am glad that phase has passed.

Last night was Suzanna's first youth dance, and one of Stewart's last ones. I am glad they had fun.

I think it's important for young men to be gentlemen, but to be enthusiastic about their chivalry as well. Too many young women have grown up expecting the opposite sex to be either lazy or selfish. So when a young man is anxiously engaged in being kind, thoughtful, decorous, etiquettish, and so on, it can be startling.

Before every dance, I would always coach our boys, "Be sure to dance with your sister at least once, ask every girl from your ward at least once each, have fun, smile, do not mock the other dancers, and get out on the floor and meet people! Ask girls questions, ask about their family. Learn their names, be polite. Be a good man."

I don't need to say anything anymore. Actually, their are now so many young women going from our ward, I've stopped telling them to try and dance with each one; they'd have no time to meet any other girls!

2 comments:

Jennilyn said...

I often catch Stewart with food in his mouth, this photo no exception. He was a good sport, posing with Suzu in their Hawaii shirts to fit the dance theme. Do they look like siblings? Funny the physical characteristics they have from both of us, mixed.

Emmalyn said...

Fun shirts!