Monday, November 10, 2014

Claymores - an Elegiac Poem




People hold still after a death.  Inside of every minute, little claymores hide, waiting to detonate.

When I see a train, or hear a train horn from across the town.  When I even imagine a train, the rhythmic clatter as it goes by, my breath stops.  I think of him stepping in front of one.

When an actor pretends to be (or is) high.  When they’re accurate, it’s harrowing and tragic.  When they’re lampooning, it’s infuriating.  Same with mental illness. And suicide.

Whenever a character in a show is in AA and talks recovery, or when a parent gets a death notification from the police, or when someone sees a loved one in the morgue or at the funeral.

When someone jokes about being delusional, or quotes Han Solo from “Return of the Jedi.”

When I hear music sung.  When I sing.  I hear the echo of his magnificent voice, and sob.

When I see a 20-year old boy.  When a missionary comes home.  Or leaves.  

When the kids do a chore without complaining, because holy cow, did he complain a lot.

When we have granola (which he loved), tomato soup (hated), or cheese (loved).

When we laugh.

When another bill collector calls, so I write down their number to fax his death certificate.

When it is quiet.

When I hear the theme music to the original Mario Brothers. Remember when Max made that his ring tone? In High School, he’d forget his cell phone, I’d call it just to make it ring, and chuckle.

When we see a movie, or quote trivia, or tell a joke, or recycle that last basket of his old clothes that no one will ever wear again by taking it to Goodwill, and I leave it in my trunk so I can take it back inside to look at again, smell it again just one more time, just once.

Grenades of ache exploding in my heart.

7 comments:

Jane Babcock said...

It is difficult to comment, but thank you.

Emmalyn said...

lots of good reminders of happy times. Sad reminders too. Good to remember I think. Is rather think of max and still remember than forget.

Unknown said...

So, so sorry for your loss and all this pain. Sometimes we can anticipate the little things that will trigger heartache (more than what is there every moment) and other times it takes us by such surprise that it takes our breath away before the tears fall. Wishing you and your family peace and comfort during these upcoming holidays that can hurt so badly.

Suzu said...

that was beautiful. Thank you for sharing that.

I can't listen to men's choirs without crying. Especially when the basses sing.

Julie said...

This is really really beautiful. Tragically beautiful. Thank you for writing it and thank you for sharing it.

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

I'm sorry, John...but so glad you are sharing about Max.

Jennilyn said...

I love my favorite poet ox.