Thursday, January 08, 2009

Why Blog?

So here's something curious to me; when I consider the blog authors I am personally acquainted with . . . why are they almost all women? I have a rich social network of interesting men-folk. Why aren't they out here being funny, profound, and interesting? Seriously, I know, like, two. Versus the dozens of women?

I know why I blog; I love words. I love speaking them, writing them, hearing them. The poetry of thought and reason is music to my brain. Do my fellow men just not love words like I do?

Are they too busy? Self-concious? Is self-publishing a vanity, so the avoidance is an act of humility?

There are lots of good things to compel our attentions. Too many to ever do them all. So maybe "blogging" as an activity just doesn't rank high enough on the list to compel obedience. And it's not fun enough to do for the sheer joy of it, perhaps?

"May I suggest to you that you write, that you keep journals, that you express your thoughts on paper. Writing is a great discipline. It is a tremendous education effort. It will assist you in various ways, and you will bless the lives of many--now and in the years to come, as you put on paper some of your experiences and some of your musings."

--Gordon B. Hinckley
But I think we (people-we, not men-we) have a duty to record something of our thoughts, our processes. We give our children the opportunity to learn from our history. By recording it, it is available for them.

OK, yes, maybe there is a little vanity, sometimes. But there is also the zeal of joyfully sharing truth. Beauty. I blog, because I am certain there are things I know that are important. By writing them down, by writing down HOW I came to know them, I make them more real. It is a joy to go back and read something I wrote, to feel the resonance in myself that I still feel that way.

" I ask that you join the conversation by participating on the Internet . . . to share the gospel and to explain in simple, clear terms the message of the Restoration. Most of you already know that if you have access to the Internet you can start a blog in minutes and begin sharing what you know to be true."

--Elder M. Russell Ballard
Now, if I can just avoid the vanity trap . . .

6 comments:

Emmalyn said...

I laughed out loud hard with that comic.

I for one am glad you blog. I love hearing your words even when we are far.

Amy said...

I actually laughed out loud at that too!! I like reading blogs to keep in touch with the things - little and big - that happen in the lives of those around me.

Jane Babcock said...

Is there anyway I can make it so the comic isn't cut off? I haven't been able to see the right hand edge. It's covered by archives etc.

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

I'm glad you blog. And I want some of your grapefruit pie.

landbeck said...

Jane, if you click on the picture, it should open a new window with the full comic viewable.

Jen, I can send you the recipe. It's sticky fun to make.

Deb said...

The comic illustrates part of why I left facebook. I found myself thinking, "Deb is..." and filling in the blank while I was doing stuff. That was very disturbing. So, I relate! Facebook was too public and vanity-linked for me. I felt self-conscious. Now I just read Roger's if I wonder what's up with people.

Blogging feels different. I have mine set to invitation-only (mostly family and just a couple of close friends) so I feel I can relax. My intent is more journal and family history related. And a way to stay in touch long distance. For me it feels like illustrated, simplified e-mail.

Roger doesn't have much time or he'd blog more. And even with time, he'd probably leave the family stuff to me. Not sure why. But Elder Ballard's remarks are part of why he posts his talks and why his blog is public. Thanks for the thought-provoking post.