Friday, January 13, 2012

Neighbor News Follow Up; We're All Fine Here, Now, Thank You.


So the good news. Max is fine. His doctors say it was an acute episode of psychosis. A little medication, some ongoing therapy, and the symptoms have minimized. He’s functional, back to where he was before the breakdown of New Year’s Eve. He’s living at home, looking for work, going back to school when he can.

The other news. He does not hold with our beliefs, is not sure what he himself believes. He wants to be good, wants to be trusted. We are finding our way, and appreciate the offers of support.

I honestly don’t know what to do now. Shame has no place in the complex dynamic of recovery and stability after something like Max has experienced, so we’re trying to delicately navigate the anger we’ve felt about some of his choices without making it more anxious for him. That’s the support side, I guess. I am resolutely terrified he’s going to drift the wrong way and make a mistake he won’t recover from next time.

So. Say hi to Max. He’s still the same good kid he was before. Still funny, kind, and sweet. We love him.

4 comments:

Deb said...

That is a very funny clip. Thanks.

Space and time heal a lot.

Jane Babcock said...

I would never have thought of a film clip as context for a post. Your knowledge of film allows enriched communication.

Michele B. said...

As I read your last two posts it reminds me of a simple childrens book by Margaret Wise Brown, it goes as follows:

Once there was a little bunny who wanted to run away. So he said to his mother, "I'm running away."

"If you run away," said his mother.."I will run after you. For you are my little bunny."

"If you run after me, " said the little bunny...."I will become a fish in a trout stream...and I will swim away from from you."

"If you become a fish in a trout stream..."I will become a fisherman and I will fish for you."

"If you become a fisherman," said the little bunny...."I will be a bird and fly away from you."

"If you become a bird and fly away from me ," said his mother..." I will become a tree that you can come home to."

"Shucks" said the little bunny. "I might as well stay where I am...and be your little bunny."

And so he did.....


As a parent sometimes all we can be is a fisherman or a tree...they just need to know that we will always be there for them and will always love them no matter what because our little bunnies they will always be.

BobandLu said...

We've had a lot of Star Wars love here lately, great scene.
I know that on the outside of a situation, it is unfair and difficult to interpret what is going on in peoples hearts/minds - even with explanations. We are supportive in any way you would like us to be and love Max (of course).