Friday, July 20, 2012

Malaria Day Three; Ibuprofen is Magic


The best news this morning; my blood test was negative for Malaria critters!  I still have to stay until I take my last dose of choloroquine tomorrow, but after that, I can go home!

Well last night was interesting.  The first thing that I want to point out is how *uncomfortable* it is when you have a fever.  No wonder sick babies cry so much!

After I checked in yesterday, I got my first dose of chloroquine, but I also got some ibuprofen.  An hour later, I felt pretty normal.  But over the course of the evening, my fever came back.  This morning, it was all the way up to 101.2, I felt like hammered dirt.

600 milligrams of motrin later, my fever is down and I'm feeling human again.




A super violent thunderstorm blew over last night, and a fire alarm went off. The storm was pretty, but the alarm was obnoxious.  Walking around an enormous empty building while a disembodied voice warns you to evacuate...I felt like I was in a Science Fiction movie.

A side effect of the Chloroquine is increased bruising.  So far it is the only side effect I've experienced. This is from this morning's blood draw for the Malaria smear.  I've never seen my skin that particular shade of blue before.


Can't wait to go home tomorrow!

3 comments:

Suzu said...

the fire alarm video sounded pretty surreal. I like your description of it as a science fiction movie. Can't wait for you to come home, Dad!

Jennilyn said...

I can't believe I watched the whole thing--but waiting for the thunder/lightning and evac announcement was worth it. Creepy.

landbeck said...

Seriously, I was hoping Ripley would walk around the corner fighting the Alien Mother.