Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Malaria-watch, Day One

I checked into the NIH last night, and was positive I had the Malaria.

My neck ached, I had a low fever (99.2), my blood pressure (140/95) and heart-rate (100) were elevated.

A few hours later, I was febrile (temp of 100.3); seriously, that's the word the Doctor used to distinguish between the low fever and once I was over 100. So they ordered a blood smear test and gave me some tylenol.  I was certain I would wake up and be confined to the room.

But I woke up this morning and I felt fine! 

I suspect I am walking embodiment of the Hawthorne Effect; I am hyper-aware of every possible malaria symptom now, so every physical manifestation of anything feels like it might be Malaria.  When I clear my throat, if I feel sleepy, if my neck is stiff.



I couldn't find a funny cartoon about observer effects, so here's one about Pavlov instead...

1 comment:

Emmalyn said...

Please keep us updated!