Thursday, July 30, 2009

Book of Mormon Stories Chapter 10

1 Nephi 10 We are going to run out of summer before we finish First Nephi! I'm sad for the summer to run out, but have enjoyed the chance to have these talks with my children about things that matter so much to me.


1 And now I, Nephi, proceed to give an account upon these plates of my proceedings, and my reign and ministry; wherefore, to proceed with mine account, I must speak somewhat of the things of my father, and also of my brethren.
Do you ever have to explain some aspect of your family history when telling someone a story, explaining some event?


5 And he also spake concerning the prophets, how great a number had testified of these things, concerning this Messiah, of whom he had spoken, or this Redeemer of the world.
Do you find things in your lives which are relevant to things the Prophets have said? If not; look harder! Or ask us, we see it often.


8 Yea, even he should go forth and cry in the wilderness: prepare ye the way of the Lord, and make his paths straight; for there standeth one among you whom ye know not; and he is mightier than I, whose shoe’s latchet I am not worthy to unloose. And much spake my father concerning this thing.
Would it bother you to have to introduce someone else as "better" than you? A sibling, or a relative? Can you celebrate the success of other people without being jealous?


11 And it came to pass after my father had spoken these words he spake unto my brethren concerning the gospel which should be preached among the Jews, and also concerning the dwindling of the Jews in unbelief. And after they had slain the Messiah, who should come, and after he had been slain he should rise from the dead, and should make himself manifest, by the Holy Ghost, unto the Gentiles.
How does it make you feel when we bear our testimony? Do you feel uplifted? Harangued? Enlightened? Bored?


13 Wherefore, he said it must needs be that we should be led with one accord into the land of promise, unto the fulfilling of the word of the Lord, that we should be scattered upon all the face of the earth.
What does "one accord" mean? How do you think it feels to be that way? Worth trying for?


17 And it came to pass after I, Nephi, having heard all the words of my father, concerning the things which he saw in a vision, and also the things which he spake by the power of the Holy Ghost, which power he received by faith on the Son of God—and the Son of God was the Messiah who should come—I, Nephi, was desirous also that I might see, and hear, and know of these things, by the power of the Holy Ghost, which is the gift of God unto gall those who diligently seek him, as well in times of hold as in the time that he should manifest himself unto the children of men.
Do you desire to hear, see and know the things that your parents have? How might that help us to reach one accord? Do you think Unity is important?


20 Therefore remember, O man, for all thy doings thou shalt be brought into judgment.
Are we judged for our intentions or our actions? Why can we be judged for our malicious intentions (no matter their outcome), but not reward for our good intentions (which yield no subsequent good action)? Is that fair?

No comments: