Thursday, April 22, 2010

*Chirp* *Chirp* *Chirp*


NOT the sound of a sweetly singing spring time bird. This model lasts a LONG time, but you can't just unplug the battery when it expires. You have to snap off the plastic tag that deactivates it completely.

What's super awesome is that this is the second 10 year smoke alarm I've used up. I've been buying my own smoke alarms for two decades! Hooray for oldness!

What's a super bummer is that scary warning on the back; "CONTAINS RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL AMERICIUM 241 - 1.0 MICROCURIE".

So, it's earth day, and I'm not going to risk the wrath of my environmentally aware children by throwing radioactive waste out with the kitchen garbage. What am I supposed to do with this thing!?

What's super awesome is I'm friends at church with a health physicist; he collects household sources of radiation for fun to use in demonstrating his equipement.



So I'll be giving it to him, the world's landfills will be one microcurie lighter of a possible source of alpha radiation.

(And hey, if any of you readers have old orange or red Fiestaware ceramics . . . I'd be happy to take that vintage source of household radiation off of your hands)

2 comments:

Jennilyn said...

I love Fiesta ware! NO! Didn't know. But then CraigJ says a banana is radio-active, too!

Emmalyn said...

I learned the other day- that the radioactive sensors they have on roads: will go off when a load of bananas go by!