Monday, November 08, 2010

Grateful for Gatherings!

I love getting together with people I love. Two weeks ago, our congregation had a "Trunk or Treat" party, a chance for kids to dress up in costume and trick or treat around the parking lot at the back of everyone's car. Suzanna was a mime, Sam a fireman, and Roxie Jane an Elf hunter (her character in Lord of the Rings Online)
I laughed out loud when I saw one of Suzu's friends was also a mime. I encouraged them to have a mime-off. There was much glaring and gesturing.
I laughed out loud again when our friend called the gathering to order with her microphone, and clarified that no, she wasn't expecting, this was just the scariest thing she could think of.
The gear Sam was wearing was the real deal; and that jacket is hot, so he took it off to help with the games. I think it was a bit of a shock to him that this year, he was old enough to help (rather than still being considered a "kid" who needed to be entertained).
Not the best picture of our favorite little houseguest and her parents, but their outfits were awesome. Mom and Dad were worker bees (with tape measures and cooking utensils), while baby was the queen, with jewels
I brought a chair to sit on while passing out candy, but Roxie Jane came back and sat with me when she was done. Some of the other older kids kept going around the parking lot over and over looking for more. We ran completely out of candy!
This is a group photo of another halloween gathering. I wish we could have been a part of it (we already had one elf!).
Stewart is Legolas on the far left. A Koehler Cousin is next as an elf (I think she looks like one of the guardians from Lothlórien). Then Jenni's sister Becca is Eowyn (I think), then the Witch-King of Angmar. Then Mikey (Sarah Babcock's brother) is Elrond and a orcish cousin. Mike Babcock looking pretty rugged as Aragorn, Timmy (SarahB's brother too) as a horse-lord of Rohan (see the horse head on his noseguard?). SarahB as Arwen, Ellie is hysterically appropriate size-wise as Frodo, and then SarahB's Dad as Gandalf the White.

Gather, friends, and be glad!

2 comments:

Deb said...

Yay! Thank you for posting that LOTR Halloween picture. It's the first I've seen everybody. It looks like they had fun.

Emmalyn said...

That's actually one of the other Neilson brothers - David.

Fun to see Trunk or Treat pictures! I loved the queen bee and thought Crowls was pretty great. Sam looked very real!