Monday, November 01, 2010

I'm Grateful for Inspiration


My wife issued a challenge on her blog to be grateful every day of November, and to blog about it. I have been meaning to blog more regularly for years, and this is a great reason to start.

Inspiration can mean a lot of things. It is the thing that moves you to do something, in this case my wife's commitment and vigor for a good idea. It rubs off on you.

But it also has a religious meaning. It means feeling a direction, a notion, an instruction that originates in God. The mechanism of that instruction, the manner of its origin is a mystery to me. I yearn to be more open to divine inspiration. I often hear friends tell of experiences where they felt directed to do something, and they complied, and only afterwards realized the good that was accomplished. I seek for those moments where I recognize the still, small voice.

I woke up this morning just before 1am worried about my furnace. The CO detector's batteries had died, and it was getting cold enough that the furnace would soon be burning regularly. Was my worry a prompting? I couldn't tell, so got out of bed quietly. I think it is better to err on the side of caution when considering inspiration.

The basement was fine. I replaced the batteries, reinstalled it, ran a load of laundry. God is not a trickster, he does not try to fool us. Perhaps the good that will come of it are the sweaters that I washed, so my daughter could wear them today. But I wondered if sometimes we might experience spiritual fire drills, to help us practice responding immediately to inspiration.



This first day, I am grateful for inspiration.

2 comments:

Jennilyn said...

I am glad you listen.

Jane Babcock said...

We made a visit today at exactly the right moment to find a young man who didn't live there anymore but was living with a neighbor, had stayed home from school and came over when he saw us. Inspiration or blessing. Was he prompted to show himself? How big a window was there for us to see him? I'm thankful you are thankful.