Saturday, November 06, 2010

Grateful for Rest


I started out posting that I was grateful for sleep, but then thought to distinguish between the two; there is some sleep that is not restful, but just lazy/idle. That's not something to be grateful for.

I love the sensation of drifting off to sleep. Love how good it feels to wake up after a restful night's slumber. I have often delighted in my ability to "choose" to sleep. Give me 60 seconds and a horizontal surface, and I am *out*. It is a gift, and I am grateful for it.

I remember my children being very small, and sleep seemed a much rarer gift. Now, I wake up at 4:30am most days (I may not be the seminary teacher, but I sleep next to her, so when she's up, I'm up). We have to be in bed by 8pm if we are going to get a full 8 hours of sleep; something that rarely happens.

But we get enough. Tonight, we'll get an extra hour of it. Though honestly, when we have a day to sleep in, usually we just wake up early anyway.

2 comments:

Jane Babcock said...

Have a day of rest.

Deb said...

It's been fun reading your blog lately, John. I feel the same way about rest. I wish I could fall asleep as fast as you do! That is a gift. I have total respect for early morning seminary teachers and their supportive spouses. Way to go!