Sunday, November 07, 2010

News!


Because not every post has to be about gratitude in November.

I start work next Tuesday (November 16th) at the MCIJ as a contract employee conducting the TABE and Occupational Interest Inventory exams. There will be a lot of lingo and acronyms, as with any job. But I'm not even sure what some of them mean yet, so I'm not sure I can really explain everything you might want to know.

MCIJ is the Maryland Correctional Institute - Jessup, a medium security facility. The prison itself is operated by the Division of Correction (DOC), a department in the Department of Public Safety and Correction Services (DPSCS). The school with MCIJ is operated by the Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation's (DLLR) Division of Workforce Development and Adult Learning. I will be administering the aforementioned tests to inmates to help place them in adult education classes (the primary goal there is to help them get their GED) and to help them target realistic post-incarceration career goals.

Since it is a contract position, there are not benefits. In the interim, it fits nicely with the other part-time work I am doing. We will get by. And if a job opens up as a full-time teacher, I am sure my experience will help in the application process.

1 comment:

Jane Babcock said...

Congratulations. I hope they recognize your value and that it will transform into something with benefits.