Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Grateful for Words

I remember being younger, and wondering what it would be like to communicate perfectly. To be able to convey my thought without error, without a loss of meaning. Language is such a cumbersome, often clumsy way to get a notion across.

You can't water this plant too much.

My definition of "joy", or "evil", or "tomatoe" could be slightly, or even wholly different than yours.

It might get lost in translation, even if we speak the same language. You might mis-hear the word I speak. Or I might mis-speak it. Or mis-type it!



There are so many ways for communciation to go awry.

I am grateful for the effort it takes to be clear. The intent required to listen, to understand. Communication is an act of faith, of empathy, and imagination. It manifests the urge to connect, on the part of both listener and speaker (reader and writer).

I delight to hear from loved ones, both far and near. Via blog, email, text, phone, skype, letter, package, hug, prayer, and kiss. But I am especially grateful for the words we speak, and the effort we make to be heard and to hear.

1 comment:

Jennilyn said...

I love your love for words! I know that was a strong attraction point in your favor--your love notes and words of endearment and words of loyalty. You swept me off my feet with the power of words, and still do. XO