Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Animals!


Driving through suburban Baltimore last night to pick up Suzanna from her harp lesson, I suddenly veered to the left, nearly driving off the road.

"A fox!" I cried out. "Look, Max! A fox!"

Max has driven with me before, he is not alarmed when I bring the car to a sudden halt to look at wildlife.

There is a small herd of deer that lives in a copse of woods in the middle of a cloverleaf ramp onto the interstate near us. Max is in charge of looking for them so I can pay attention to the road.

Our kids know to never approach or try to touch wild animals. That being said, they still love to chase squirrels around the yard. Or rabbits, when they are about (I think we had a clutch of babies living in one of our bushes in the spring, there sure were a bunch of little bunnies around).

One thing we MUST remember to pack whenever we spend the night at the beach are our headlamps. Looking for ghost crabs after sunset is a tradition.



I love the wonder of seeing animals in the wild. I am grateful my kids indulge my whims, and seem to enjoy the wonder of it all themselves.

1 comment:

Jane Babcock said...

This afternoon I noticed a lizard on my windshield as I was driving down the road. Stop and go rush hour traffic. He moved out of sight. I hope he got off all right.