Sunday, November 28, 2010

Grateful for Poetry

I had an English Teacher in college who encouraged us to be very deliberate about the metaphors that we embrace. Our metaphors are how we see life, how we manifest our most basic and instinctive actions.

Love is a battlefield. Or is it a red, red rose?


I knew at a young age that I would always love poetry. It was never stupid or sissy to me. The lyrical nature of language resonates in my heart, I adore the well-turned phrasing, the impressionist verse, the complex rhymes or rhythms of poetry. I love the meaning it can convey in just a few simple words.

I reject the notion that some things cannot be explained. That idea, that experience is necessary for understanding, is at odds with everything I believe about the human experience, about knowledge, truth. It might take a mighty exertion of intuition and empathy, and the concerted effort of imagination, but I truly believe we can understand each other.

And poetry, for me, is the best and most perfect medium for that understanding to occur. Often the language of poetry slips back into our conversations, we use the imagery from a poem by alluding to its construction.

Do not go gentle into that good night.
I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.


I have spoken often of my love for words and language. I think that poetry is the highest expression of language, in poetry. My favorite scriptures are poetic, lyrical and powerful in their instruction.

I have never thrown away a book of poetry, which is actually kind of silly, since nearly every poem in the world is out their on the internet somewhere. But I love just turning through the pages of a poetry anthology and finding new and old ones, over and over again.

the world is puddle-wonderful
All mimsy were the borogoves, and the mome raths outgrabe.


Do you take time to consider the metaphors of your life? How you see the world, your relationships, your future? I hope so. It's never too late to have a more positive vision.

"Look on my works and despair!"

To turn from the urge to selfishness and be more kind. To yearn for greater happiness and more complete peace.

To love.

Jenny kiss'd me when we met,
Jumping from the chair she sat in;
Time, you thief, who love to get
Sweets into your list, put that in!
Say I'm weary, say I'm sad,
Say that health and wealth have miss'd me,
Say I'm growing old, but add,
Jenny kiss'd me.

No comments: