Saturday, November 27, 2010

Grateful for Cheer


One of my favorite people is an older gentleman who is in our congregation at church. He is matter-of-fact about his age and the remarkable feat it is to wake up each day.

"How are you doing today Harvey?"
"Oh, woke up on the right side of the grass."

"Good Morning Brother Powell, it's good to see you."
"Oh, I guess it's better to be seen than viewed."

"How are you feeling today?"
"Still feeling!"

It is a delight to be around cheerful people. I know, there is a difference between the obtusely happy people who are clearly in denial; life is hard, long, difficult, and often heartbreakingly tragic. But there is so much good in the world, so much to be happy about.

I am grateful for the sources of cheer around me. Grateful that my children tend to avoid mopeyness, join me in feeling sorry for the emos in the world.

Grateful for the holidays, and how happy they are! I love that Thanksgiving comes before Christmas, so we can spend time being thoughtful and thankful before we invest our energies in giving gifts.

Be happy today! Spread some cheer!

2 comments:

Jennilyn said...

I count it as a great blessing that you have strong emotions, you feel things intensely, and you don't pout or mope. I have watched you CHOOSE to be happy in the middle of horrible circumstances. And finding humor to get you through tough times. "Here's what we'll do..." and "I have an idea!" in-jokes give me great joy! Thank you for your cheery good self!

Jane Babcock said...

I am more cheerful than I look. I hope people sense that. I have tried in recent years to look more cheerful. You are a good example.