Friday, November 12, 2010

Grateful for Schoolhouse Rock


*These* are the reason I watched Saturday Morning Cartoons as a youth. It infused my young mind/heart with a love for clever rhymes, an appreciation of many music styles, and the wonder of learning through singing. Taught me the preamble!



You can sing the 3 times table pausing just so, right?

Three, six, nine
twelve, fifteen, eighteen
twenty-one, twenty-four, twenty-seven
Thirty!



It's funny going back and watching them now, how culturally irrelevant some have become. The "melting pot" metaphor has been long-abandoned as a way of describing America. And I am sure it makes some people cringe to hear the expansion of the US territory described as a "meant to be ... manifest destiny."

But I treasure my memories of the songs. I am glad my kids have gotten to experience them (thanks Uncle Michael!) on DVD.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I LOVE Schoolhouse Rock. I finally understood silent "e" because of them.

Jennilyn said...

RJ is currently learning the Preamble for school using this technique, but we have to pause the song and add "of the United States of America" after the "we the people" and it makes me wish the song writers had added it in...Good memories, yes!

Jane Babcock said...

Some I haven't heard before. I must have been in the kitchen.